2017 Copyright THE ASTHMA CENTER - Coastal Allergy and Asthma P.C.
People with asthma can enjoy a normal healthy life and participate in normal activities.
Asthma medications are important in both the treatment of asthma and the prevention of its symptoms.
There are two types of asthma medications:
CONTROLLER - daily medications used to prevent and control inflammation
RESCUE/RELIEVER MEDICATIONS - as needed medication to open up the airway acutely during asthma attacks
KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER -
By taking medications as prescribed:
- you may have more asthma-free symptoms days.
- you may have decreased bronchial symptoms (cough and sleep disturbances).
- you may have improved exercised tolerance and improved athletic outcomes.
- you may avoid permanent changes in lung functions.
- you may have fewer missed school/work days.